Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Two Months and 40 Pounds Later...

It is hard to believe that this past weekend was the 2 month anniversary of my surgery.  Time has gone by faster than I thought it would in the beginning. I had my 2-month follow up with the surgeon last Thursday and I found out that I had been calculating my weight loss wrong!  I was starting 3 pounds heavier than I actually was, so my weight loss hasn't been what I thought it was.  But that's just fine, we're only talking about 3 pounds here. I'll lose that in a week!  So far, then, the grand total is 40 pounds lost, including what I lost before surgery.  This is all good for sure, and I can see how things are changing - physically and mentally.

 
Since the 4 week mark, I have pretty much eaten whatever my stomach will tolerate.  Thankfully I have not had much in the way of issues with that. My breakfast is always a protein drink, followed by various things for lunch - leftover dinner, tuna or chicken salad on crackers with cheese, lettuce roll-ups with meat and cheese, or salad with some kind of protein. I like taco salads with refried beans, taco meat, and cheese.  For dinner, it's just meat and vegetables and the crockpot helps!  I have avoided bread, rice, pasta, and white potatoes. I have not tried any of those yet, and I really don't see a need to go back to them. I am eating probably about 4-6oz per meal now.


The mental changes come in terms of choices. Choices on what to eat and choices on what to do with my time - as in to exercise or not to exercise, that is the question! Could I have followed this same dietary plan before surgery and lost weight? Yes, I probably could have, but it also would have been much more difficult and I probably wouldn't have stuck to it. It's amazing the hold carbohydrates have on our lives until we are forced to live without them for a little while. I know eventually I would have given in to that. It also amazes me how many carbs are in so many everday foods. It has been incredibly eye-opening to say the least!  I also know that my stomach and intestines have been forever changed on the inside and I know that not sticking to the "plan" could result in me feeling sick...and in the long run, result in regaining the weight. What is the "plan"?  The nutritional guidelines that I am supposed to follow is no more than 20g carbs/10g sugar/10g fat per meal.

I also believe this surgery changes more physically than just the size of the stomach. I just don't have a craving for a lot of things I used to eat. Maybe my tastes have changed, or maybe so much time has passed that I just don't crave or miss it anymore. Either way, it's not a bad thing and it makes it easier to stick with the "plan".  Although I am not eating most carbohydrate-rich food, I do eat whole wheat crackers and have had some of a baked sweet potato with nothing but a little butter added (which was super yummy, I might add!). I occassionally have a handful of Cheez-Its to get that salty snack fix.


I joined the Rex Wellness Center last month and have been going to water aerobics classes. I really like them and I just tried my first body shaping class last night.  I learned the hard way that when class is over I need to take the elevator, not the stairs. My legs wobbled a whole lot!  I am looking forward to trying yoga, and pilates, too. Of course I have days when I don't feel like going, but on the whole I do like it and there are days when I miss it if I don't go due to other things going on. This is also part of the mental change! I love relaxing in the hot tub after classes.  I find having some of that relaxation time after class makes for a happier, less-stressed me when I get back home.  I'm sure hubby, Dylan, and the cat appreciate that!

All in all, I am very blessed to be doing so well!  My accomplishments since week 2 are:

-Losing a grand total of 40 pounds as of 10/27
-Getting OFF of my blood pressure meds - yahoo!!!
-Joining the Rex Wellness Center and getting there 2-3 times a week
-Moving down 1 jeans size
-Moving down 1-2 pants size (depending on the make of the pants)
-Fitting into shirts I haven't fit into in 3-4 years

I am so blessed to have such supportive family and friends to walk this walk with me!  My husband has started out on this journey now, too, and is entering his third week on Friday.  He is hanging in there and seeing results, too (of course, who wouldn't when you're only drinking liquids, eh??).

I will get some new pictures this weekend and post them up here. The last ones I posted on Facebook were at 34 pounds lost (it actually says 37 pounds lost, but that was before I realized I was 3 pounds off!).  Since I've lost at least another 6 pounds since then, I will get some updated ones and post on here soon!

 









No comments:

Post a Comment