Thursday, November 10, 2011

After all, it's just hair...

One of the "side effects" of gastric bypass surgery is hair loss. Everyone is different as to when they start losing their hair, how much they lose, when it starts growing back, etc.  I had read that on average, hair loss starts about month 3, but for me it started immediately.  The first shower I took when I came home from the hospital and quite a bit of hair came out in my hands as I washed and conditioned my hair.  The problem has just continued since that day.  I have started using Nioxin shampoo and conditioner, which is supposed to help slow hair loss and make hair stronger. But I am not sure it works for me because I seem to still lose hair and some days, I lose a lot.  I don't really have anything to compare it to, though.  Maybe it would be worse if I used regular shampoo?  Who knows.  Right now I think I can "hide" the thinning with the way I style my hair, but I have to wonder what will happen if this keeps up.  If I keep losing hair at this rate, will I end up with bald spots?  Will I need to shave my head and start over?  My hairdresser is so sweet and has offered to go with me to buy a partial wig, an enhancer for my hair to help with the thinness.  I am not sure I am at that point yet, but it is something I think about, especially if this keeps up.  I know my hair will grow back, but it can take a while for that to start happening...like 9 months to a year after surgery.   That is a long time for hair to continuously fall out. The problem wouldn't be as great, I don't think, if I didn't already have thin, fine hair to begin with.  If I started out with a head of thicker hair, I probably woudn't be as concerned about developing bald spots.  Don't get me wrong, I don't regret having the surgery, the hair loss is a minor thing to deal with in the scheme of things and the weight loss is by far more important.  After all, it's just hair, right?  It's just a new insecurity I have to deal with for now...until my hair decides to grow back!

No comments:

Post a Comment