Thursday, September 15, 2011

"T" is for Two

This past Monday marked my 2-weeks since surgery.  It also meant a follow-up with my surgeon.  I went to that appointment on Tuesday morning and  I weighed in 14 pounds less than I did on surgery day, so I've lost a total of 25 pounds so far.  I can already see the difference in my face and my clothes are fitting a little looser.  The surgeon was pleased with where I was and told me that my weight loss will slow over the next couple of weeks, and that it is normal to go through periods of more rapid weight loss, and then slower weight loss, and even plateaus on the scale while my body catches up.  But even when this happens, he says, I should still be losing inches.  My next follow-up is on the 9/29 - exactly 1 month to the day of my surgery.

Food-wise, I have progressed to the pureed stage - yummy! LOL  My diet this week has mainly been 2 protein shakes a day, supplemented with 1/2 cup of refried beans & salsa for lunch and 3oz of greek yogurt for a morning and afternoon snack.  So my shakes are my breakfast and dinner.  The problem I found going back to work is...I forget to eat.  I'm never hungry, I don't know what hunger really feels like anymore.  Whatever it feels like, it is not the same as it was before.  If I don't set reminders for myself to eat, I will easily forget.  I am struggling to get my 64-oz of fluids in daily, which I knew would be a problem for me. I was never really good about drinking that before surgery. I am much better now, but still not where I need to be.  I am, however, managing to meet my minimum protein requirements each day...as long as I don't forget to eat!

Accomplishments this week:

1. A 14 pound loss since surgery!
2. Blood pressure meds were cut down to half per day!
3. I was able to wear a shirt on Monday that I hadn't been able to wear since I bought it around Christmas last year.  I bought it without trying it on and then realized it was a little too tight when I got home. Since I bought it in Alabama, I never returned it.  I was happy to see that it is no longer "a little too tight" and fits just right! 
4. I can now wear my wedding ring again without shoving it on my finger.  I developed dermatitis from the nickle in the ring about a year after we got married.  It was from about a 10 pound weight gain after our wedding. I have since not been able to wear it except every so often.  I have been wearing it all week now and so far, have not had any issues. It seems to fit much better now...YAY!
5. Went back to the office.  Yes, this is an accomplishment, although I really miss working from home!

Goals for the coming weeks:

1. Exercise more!  This is a biggie for me!! I need to find something to do and get into a routine!
2. Find a local support group and go!

This has certainly been a process for me, as I know it is for everyone who goes through this surgery.  One good thing, I really have no desire to eat anything sweet. The thought turns my stomach!  However....I would LOVE to be able to have a nice juicy cheeseburger or a big ole slice of pizza! LOL  But alas....I can not....and that is okay.  I am bummed for a moment, but remember the ultimate goal and the tool for the second chance I've been given to make it happen!

No comments:

Post a Comment