Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Coming into the Home Stretch

I have officially completed ALL of my pre-op testing/assessments! Woo hoo! Today was the psychological assessment so the doctors can make sure I'm not going to "flip out" after I'm all skinny and stuff. The main thing the psychologist looks for is to make sure it's being done for the right reasons, that you understand the changes - physical and mental - that come with the dramatic weight loss , and to make sure you are mentally ready to be compliant with the new way of eating and living after surgery. Seems I "passed" with flying colors and the psychologist announced she will recommend me as a good candidate, psychologically, for surgery.

As for the meeting, it was very interesting and enlightening. We talked about my fears of life after surgery and also what my hopes and goals were. The main thing I said I was afraid of is the weight loss causing a change in my relationship with my husband. She seemed very supportive of the fact that he and I are going through this together, so we will be able to be supportive of each other's struggles since we will be enduring them together. Still, knowing that the ex-wife walked out 3 years after her surgery (I know, ironic, right?), I am determined to make sure that this does not happen to our marriage. This family does not need to go through something like that again. My hope is that our relationship will grow deeper and more meaningful in ways that we are unaware of yet. All in all, I feel pretty good about taking this step in my life and I am looking forward to getting back to doing things I truly enjoy, but have had to stop doing because I just can't anymore. At 36 years young, I should NOT be saying that and I don't want to lose anymore of my life than I already have!

Last weekend I also completed my second sleep study to get fitted for the CPAP. I should be getting word on that this week...and have my CPAP machine soon. I'm not looking forward to using it, but if it will help me sleep better and feel better, I'm willing to give it a shot! Hopefully once the weight starts coming off, I will not need it anymore and I can return to my sexy sleeping self! :)

So where do we go from here? Well, the next step is to set up my follow up appointment with the surgeon. He will go over all of the results with me from all of the testing I've been through and his office will submit the paperwork to the insurance company to have my surgery approved. Then, we set the date. So we're not quite in the home stretch...but we're getting there and I get a little more excited and a little more nervous each day. But I'm looking forward to life in the long run after surgery!

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you not to mention excited for you. Love you!

    ReplyDelete